|
Action Planning Template
|
||||
|
Goal: To provide direct services to families to reduce
barriers to student learning.
|
||||
|
Action Steps(s):
|
Person(s) Responsible:
|
Timeline: Start/End
|
Needed Resources
|
Evaluation
|
|
Develop a Shared Vision, Literature Research, Initial Student Research,
Planning, Self-Reflection, Exploring Programmatic Patterns, Determine Final
Direction
|
Robert Seibert
|
December 21, 2012 – January 18, 2013
|
Time, Literature on Past Research (Online Database), Documents (Past
Parental Contact Logs), Quantitative Data (Student Grades and Test Scores)
found through Eduphoria and Skyward
|
Excel spreadsheet used to document information (grades, scores, and
parent contact), Blog
|
|
Parent meeting to discuss and implement ways in which the parent can
be involved in the child’s education
|
Robert Seibert
|
January 21, 2013
|
Time, School Cafeteria and Computer Lab, and Staff Members
|
Attendance Log, Meeting Agenda, Observations, Digital Pictures, Parent
Surveys, Blog
|
|
Progress Monitoring
|
Robert Seibert
|
February 12, 2013 – February 15, 2013
March 25, 2013 – March 28, 2013
May 1, 2013 – May 3, 2013
|
Time, Documents (current parent contact logs), Quantitative Data
(Student Grades and Test Scores) fround through Eduphoria and Skyward
|
Excel spreadsheet used to document information (grades, scores, and
parent contact), Parent Interviews, Parent Surveys, Blog
|
|
Final Evaluation
|
Robert Seibert
|
May 27, 2013 – May 31, 2013
|
Time, Documents (current parent contact logs), Quantitative Data
(Student Grades and Test Scores) fround through Eduphoria and Skyward
|
Excel spreadsheet used to document information (grades, scores, and
parent contact), Parent Interviews, Parent Surveys, Blog
|
Format based on Tool 7.1
from Examining What We Do to Improve Our Schools
(Harris, Edmonson, and
Combs, 2010)
Robert,
ReplyDeleteWhat kinds of services are you hoping to provide? Will this just be a way of sharing information with parents about how they can be involved in their child's education or will you be attempting to provide other services as well (e.g. financial counseling, health/wellness services, etc.)
Jared,
DeleteMy thoughts never went to providing services for anything beyond the education of the student; however, if the meetings are a success it could possibly move to that. I do plan on providing a survey to the parents about what they'd like to have on the agenda at future meetings - it will be interesting to hear what they have in mind. I never thought that they'd mention anything personal like you mentioned, but I guess that could happen. I am not a professional in counseling in any way, so I'd have to bring in outside people to conduct those meetings, if they were to happen.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog.
Robert Seibert
Robert this seems to be a noble endeavor. I'm a teacher in a district with many underprivileged students. One thing that I have seen as a major need is career counseling. I think this is something that should be implemented at least with freshmen. Many of my students have not thought about possible career goals, and the possible pathsways that schools can provide. Good luck with the research!
ReplyDeleteI like how you included the parent meeting to your action research plan template. I definitely need to add that component to my plan. This looks like a wonderful start and I also like how you've specified the evaluation components. I look forward to hearing more about your action research - family involvment is so important and anything we can do to reduce barriers is such a great goal.
ReplyDeleteRobert I think this will be a great action research, parents have such a direct impact on our students' success and learning capabilities.
ReplyDeleteRobert, I think your plan looks great.I am curious to the grade level of students that you will be targeting and the demographics of your school. I am at middle school and we don't seem to have near the support that the elementary schools in our community do. Do you have the same issues at your school? Will you have many show up for the parent meeting? Will you have other means of contacting or informing those parents who don't? I wish you the best of luck as you continue with your plan and look forward to the results!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, thank you for commenting. I appreciate your input. My school is a 6th grade only campus that houses over 1100 students. Eighty percent of our students are economically disadvantaged and we are approximately 90% minority. Parental involvement seems to be real low on our campus, and I'd like to understand why. I believe it has a lot to do with the change and the fact that they don't allow us to have a formal PTA because of the turnover in students each year. I'm only going to invite my student's parents to the meeting and I hope to have at least half of them participate. I will attempt to contact the parents that don't show up to see how I can assist them as well. Thank you, again, for your support.
DeleteThis is an excellent plan, Robert. I would consider revising your first step to be more direct and cut down on the verbiage. In your classroom, your students are more engaged and productive with a clear objective and I feel like your plan will take better shape using that same mindset. This is still a great plan, but your reader can easily get lost in its vagueness. Good luck on your research!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, but I was attempting to have the steps from the Harris et al. (2010) book reflected in my plan. I was thinking about splitting it up, but, to me, it's all basically one large step. Thank you for the advice.
DeleteWe too have a problem with parent involvement when it comes to their childrens education. We do get plenty of parents for football games though because we are very successful on the field. I would like to see how this plan pans out as you go along. I had a hard time understanding what your first action step entailed, there is a lot of information in there.
ReplyDelete